It has to meet these criteria:
So, tell me, what would you put on your list?
Time is the most undefinable yet paradoxical of things;
the past is gone, the future is not come, and the present
becomes the past even while we attempt to define it,
and, like the flash of lightning, at once exists and expires.
:Charles Caleb Colton:
1. Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined.
2. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).
hmmm...well on my list of "resolutions" for this year is to memorize certain passages of Scripture, so I would definitely include that. Also, probably certain books that I want to read (or don't want to but SHOULD :)...you know...like the old classics :)). Maybe an exercise goal. I'd love to run some sort of fundraiser like a 5K to raise money for cancer, crisis pregnancy or something. I'd love to meet that exercise goal of running that far (I always slack off half way thru) and include it in raising money for a cause that's important to me. Oh, volunteer in some ministry that's out of my comfort zone....I'm actually praying about that right now. Hmm...maybe I should just make a list myself...haha! :)
ReplyDeleteEat spaghetti with syrup and all kinds of candy on it :)
ReplyDeleteKat-- You are doing a fantastic job of stalking me thus far -- you are my first official comment! And, interestingly enough, I already have most of the goals you suggested on my list!
ReplyDelete*spoiler alert* I am planning to memorize a book of the Bible (ambitious? yes, but that’s the point!), and already have quite a few books on my list to read... though determining to read “x” number of classics would probably be a great idea seeing as I haven’t read very many of them. Also, just this morning I was thinking about adding participating in a race for a cause to my list! So, I am now in the process of researching local or semi-local possibilities. Maybe we can choose a cause together and keep each other accountable for training / raising support / completing the task! Oh, and on that note...
I am completely in favor of you making a list! I have found that, while making such a daunting list has been overwhelming for me, the process of analyzing things I want to do in my life and beginning to consciously choose to use my time to purposefully do things, even big things, that challenge me has been incredibly rewarding -- and I haven’t even started marking things off my list yet!
ps. In creating this list I have looked through DOZENS of 101:1001 lists and "Bucket Lists" on websites & blogs...
ReplyDeleteSo if you need help coming up with things to put on your list -- or are looking for a little inspiration -- I can totally hook you up. *smile*
haha! that's awesome...and proves we think so alike :)
ReplyDeletewell, a lot in my life is in transition right now, so I don't know that I would be able to make a very good long term list like the 101:1001 would really work for this season of my life...but I am working on goals for this year...have been all this month. Hope to post them on our blog soon enough :)
As for a race, that would be cool. That's something that only recently occurred to me, so I haven't prayed thru it much. Lots of people in my church do something for the local crisis pregnancy center, so that would be first on my list, I think...but we shall see :)
Can't wait to read your list!!!
Practice piano for (at least) an hour a day for two weeks.
ReplyDeleteTake a walk with a family member six times for one month.
Purge my closet and dresser of clothes I don't wear anymore and sell them online.
Blog about one thing I like each day for two weeks.
Read through the entire Bible in one year. (I've never done it.)
Heck... I should start making my own! :) I plan to one day, I just never thought I'd have enough ideas. Becker's gives me lots of ideas, and I'm sure I'll get more inspiration from your list once you put it up.
Lindsay, those are great ideas! I think that if I played the piano (or used to) that committing to practice at least an hour a day would definitely be the most challenging for me!
ReplyDeleteYour last suggestion, reading through the Bible in a year, is on my list! If you make a list too maybe we can start at the same time and keep each other on track for finishing that goal.
ps. If you're looking for inspiration check out this link:
http://www.squidoo.com/100things
It is a list of 1,000 suggestions to put on your "Bucket List." It definitely provided some inspiration for a few things on my list!