Saturday, January 28, 2012

#67. Figure out "normal sleep"

Many of you are probably confused by this goal. I mean, who doesn't know what normal sleep is right?

My struggle with my sleep schedule began in middle school and has gone on for years. I have -- even with the assistance of sleeping aids -- often lied awake in bed for hours before fitfully getting to sleep... and that's just not a fun way to exist.

Having reasons I must wake up at a certain time sometimes help -- morning classes in college and working the early shift at a daycare were two seasons in my life that I had a very defined reason to get out of bed by a certain time.

When it comes to those kind of reasons, I can make myself get out of bed... but that's no real hard-and-fast guarantee that I ever actually fell asleep at a decent hour or was able to sleep well.

Really, all it did was guarantee I was losing sleep.

Last spring I applied and was accepted to work at a ministry. The exciting thing about this position is that, when they hired me they were in need of THIRD shift employees! Since then, I've been answering phones 3-5 days a week until around 4 or 5 in the morning.

I know working till 5am probably sounds like torture to most of you but the hours have fit me perfectly! I come home tired and have been able to fall asleep at a semi-consistent time and even wake up at a decent hour.

Plus, now I finally have a legit reason to sleep till mid-afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment